Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spotlight on a Senior

As we reach the end of the semester, comes the time where we must send off some of our wonderful sisters to begin the third phase of their Delta Zeta membership as alumnae.  This semester, 14 women are beginning this phase of membership.  We will miss them dearly, but are so excited for all of the things they will do and hope that they will remain very active with our active chapter.  Here, we will share stories and wisdom from our seniors.  Our first senior is: 
 
Kendra









Semester Joined:
Spring 2008
 
Degree:
Child and Adolescent Development
 
Why did you chose Delta Zeta:
I chose Delta Zeta because I felt most at home here. I met women who were so diverse and gracious enough to welcome me into their sisterhood and made a genuine connection to get to know me.
 
Favorite Delta Zeta Memory:
I have TOO many favorites, but the one that stands out the most was throwing a pretend Bachelorette Party for Vanesa and myself. We invited sisters over for a night filled with fun games and activities, we also bought matching veils, and engagement rings. We also went out for a night on a town and told people we we're engaged to Twins and were having our wedding on the same day. My other favorite Delta Zeta Memory was this past sisterhood retreat to SF's Breast Cancer Walk (Fall 10). Vanesa, Jennifer, Jenny, and I decided to take an adventure after the walk to find the real Full House house. When we eventually found it, we were skeptical since it did not look anything like the house on tv. However, after much deliberation and a lot of googling, we agreed that this was the same house featured on TV. Super randomly, we made a video of us lip syncing to the Full House theme song and dancing on the steps of the House while neighbors and spectators awkwardly watched us.
 
Favorite memory at San Jose State University:
My favorite memory at SJSU would probably have to be living in the dorms freshman year. I lived in CVC, where I met my best friend (from college), and were super close with my 5 other roommates. We always thought of the craziest things to do. For example, right after the 4.0 earthquake that happened back in 2007, we played with a ouija board one night and asked it when the next big earthquake would be. It actually gave us a date that was upcoming soon. On that predicted day, my roommates and I watched Titanic and prepared an emergency EQ kit and waited in the parking lot of the ATMS at the exact time the predicted EQ would hit. After about half an hour we realized that the Ouija board was whack.
 
Best lesson Delta Zeta has taught you:
The best lesson Delta Zeta has taught me is to appreciate who you were in the past, embrace who you are in the present, and look forward to who you will become in the future. P.S. A little self-respect goes a long way 
 
Advice you wish you knew before starting college/sorority membership:
Being in a sorority is a lifetime commitment. It is more than just the socials, events, chapter meetings, etc. It is being apart of something bigger than oneself and contributing to a legacy that was once started and is now being continued on. I have seen and heard others who have taken their membership very lightly and I think sometimes people loose sight of this aspect and view their membership as "voluntary".
 
What are your future plans?
After graduate THIS MAY, I am for sureeeee getting a puppy. I feel like everyone will be too busy for me once I become a big kid, so I need to invest my time into something lol. Although I am graduating with a degree in Child Development, I do not want to pursue a career in that field. My passion has always been in the health industry, so my tentative plans are to apply to nursing schools this summer where I can receive my Bachelors and Masters degree in nursing. I want to be a Nurse practitioner in pediatrics one day. Recently, my mom has been pushing me to think about a career as a dentist (probably because she wants free dental insurance/coverage) so that could be a possibility in my future as well. If either of those options fail, I want to marry rich to a professional athlete and live out my secret dream as a trophy wife.
 
What role has Delta Zeta played in your future? What skills have you gained? How will you be involved as an alumna?
 Delta Zeta has taught me about my potential to succeed in the future. I have definitely learned time management and organizational skills and have perfected it down to an art. I am not going to lie, being involved in a sorority mixed in with my crazy passion & dedication to school/obsession with getting straight A's is VERY time consuming. At first I struggled with balancing school and sorority life, but I somehow managed to figure it out. I don't think if I had been as busy/over-scheduled I would not have pushed myself to be as successful as I have become. Now, I am confident that I will be able to accomplish anything I set my mind to in the future. As an alumna, I want to be supportive of the active members and encourage them to be as involved in as much as possible. I will be sure to attend all aumna events as much as I can as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment